We at Career Care meet students preparing for IELTS from all over the world. It is interesting to observe that some of the mistakes in the Writing section of most of the students are similar despite the cultural variety and educational system. Based on our observations, we have shortlisted 5 ways to boost your IELTS writing scores that can work for anyone who is preparing for IELTS tests.
1. Use correct paragraphing in IELTS EssaysCorrect paragraphing is the essential aspect of writing. In our classroom coaching sessions, we have observed that most of the students, in the heat of writing, end up writing too many or too few points in a paragraph. Such essays not only create problems in understanding your piece of writing for the reader but also in determining whether you have understood the task. We recommend following structure of the essay for the students.
- Body Paragraph 1 | Explain first side | 2 points + 1 example
- Body Paragraph 2 | Explain second side | 2 points + 1 example
- End | Summarise the points and give an opinion if asked
2. Put your points and explanations in correct order in IELTSOne of the most important parts of writing with coherence is an organization of the ideas. Proper organization of the ideas help, people paint a mental picture of written communication. It helps in understanding and eventually evaluating an idea. Ideas can be organized based on many criteria. Following are few important ones
- Organization by Grouping
- Organization by Time
- Organization by Order of Importance
3. Give correct examples in IELTS EssaysExamples from Knowledge: According to World Health Organisation (WHO), 75% of Indians are likely to catch Dengue during monsoons. Above example is acceptable as it has verifiable statistics with a reliable source of information. Indians are likely to catch Dengue during monsoons. This statement seems a sweeping generalization that means all Indians may catch Dengue while it is a very distinct possibility.
4. DON’T worry too much about hi-fi vocabulary in IELTSIn IELTS, it is essential to avoid repetition of the words instead of worrying about hi-fi vocabulary. Just to give an illustration, ‘increase’ is a word which is commonly used and repeated many times in speaking as well as writing. However, you may recall many synonyms such as accrue, expand, extend, elongate, enhance, grow, hike, rise etc. At the same time, it is important to use words precisely. This aspect insists upon the apt usage of the words and hence requires of you to study seemingly familiar words thoroughly. For example, expand and grow are used to indicate ‘increase in all directions’ whereas grow is preferred for living things while expand for non-living.
- The trees grow.
- The business expands.
5. Ensure correct usage of tenses in IELTSWhile writing an essay it is important that due attention is paid to the tenses. While many tenses are utilized to convey similar activities, knowledge of their distinct usage will set you apart from many others. So, it is an essential factor.
PREPARE WITH THE BEST