We meet many people in our office, who blow their interviews by not preparing well for question, “Why do you want to work with us?” They also complain, “You know, I have sent about 50 copies of my resume still no results”. Jobseekers must understand that seeking jobs is not mere a number game. It is not about how many resumes you sent or how many interviews you attended. It is how well you prepared your resume and what was your strategy for interview. Our advise is, don’t just hope to get success by distributing resumes.
Imagine one fine morning you get a call, “Hello, Mr. Rajat. I am Deepa from ABC Company. I am responding to your resume submitted for post of Support Engineer. May I know why would you like to work with us?” Response to this question must be prompt and precise. If Rajat starts like, “Hmmm, well, I have applied to many companies and talked to many HRs, would you please elaborate in detail what were the responsibilities of the position?”, he has blown his chances. Hence you need planning. Before going to strategy to answer this question let’s look at why is this question asked at all?
Why this question?
Answer to the stated question explains many aspects of you and your planning to the interviewers. Most prominently it tells following:
- Your career goals and how this job fits into it
- Your seriousness for job and would you perform if hired?
- How much do you know about company, industry and position?
Strategy to answer this question
Before starting to strategize the answer, have a look at three things you future employers want to know. We can sum them up as, your future employer is looking for an individual, with serious plan for future, who is well aware of industry. So answer to this question should reflect said qualities about you.
Let’s simplify things for you. Just address each point in one to two sentences and you get your answer.
Explain in short what your goals are, may be for next three to five years. Explain that in order to achieve it, offered position can be a big milestone. This reflects you have a clear plan which is achievable and also if hired, you plan to stay at that position at least for next three to five years. This also shows that you are not a job hopper.
For addressing next point, you need to do a bit of research about the company, its background, products, markets and most importantly things in which company takes pride in. Companies pride is hidden in its tagline. For example, Coca-cola takes pride in spreading happiness. You must mention it and then also express you interest to do same.
- I have been working as Sales Engineer for about three years now and I have achieved all targets till date. I understand basic role and expectations of the position. I wish to move forward in my career by becoming Territory Manager where, I can use my experience to help Sales Engineer sell. This will help increase my share of contribution. Also, I have read in CEO Interview dated 12th January for XY News that the company takes pride in best service. I completely agree that best service in market can ensure long term business. I would be more than happy to contribute my bite to your service and in turn business. So, I would like to join your company.
- I have been working as Senior Engineer for couple of years, working on JAVA. Now, looking forward for about next four years, I wish to learn a leader’s skills and implement them successfully. I am sure I can perform at this position because I take initiatives; I am a good technical resource and an efficient team member. Your company is known for coding and I am proud of my contributions in establishing Standard Operating Procedures for our team, which improved our codes quality dramatically. With a team to work with me, I am sure; I can contribute in even better at this task.