Mechanical Engineering is one of the most oldest and celebrated branch of Engineering. Contribution to Mechanical Engineering can be traced to Ancient Greece when Archiemedese formed basis for Western Mechanics.
Today Mechanical Engineering is one of the most vibrant and omnipresent branch of Engineering. Practically every company that designs and produces a product employs a mechanical engineer. But mechanical engineers can also be found in research labs, the military, government, and in other professions such as medicine, law or teaching. Most mechanical engineering jobs require design experience. When a need comes about for a new or improved product, companies call upon mechanical engineers to do the job. Engineers have to push beyond the limits of their previous work and use innovative technology to meet project requirements successfully.
Having stated all legends about Mechanical Engineering, next big question is
How do I know I am interested in Mechanical Engineering?
This is a question we ask our students to ponder upon first. For choosing any field, you must be interested in that field. You should not enter into a field, because of peer pressure or parent’s insistence. So, how would you know if you are interested in Mechanical Engineering?
Our advice would be to go visit a workshop or Design Studio or a Production unit. Look at the typical day of Mechanical Engineer. Talk to people. Ask them why do they like their jobs? This exercise will give you insights into what you may have to do for about 35 years of your life. Are you ready?
In addition to visit to your future workplace, taking psychometric test and Career Counselling are best ways to judge your career options. They will help you understand your skills, preferences and personality types. Methods like Mayer’s Bragg Testing are statistically proven and can be easily read. For counselling you may think of the person with industry experience.
What is the scope?
Mechanical Engineers have a wide scope. They find jobs in virtually all industries.
- Automotive engineer:Mechanical engineers design many car parts for the automotive industry. As an automotive engineer, you could solve transportation and safety problems by creating better and more efficient engines or by developing improved safety features
- Biomedical engineer:Mechanical engineers work with a variety of medical professionals to design mobility aids, prosthetics, and artificial organs.
- Consulting:Once mechanical engineers have gained significant on-the-job experience and developed a high level of expertise, they might choose to work for themselves as consultants or independent contractors. Here they can work on projects of their choosing for clients they respect. The consulting field offers opportunities in large and small engineering service firms and in private practice.
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) engineer: In this field, engineers design refrigeration systems for making frozen foods, or air-conditioning and heating systems for businesses and industrial buildings, residential homes, autos, hospitals, and schools.
- Nuclear engineer: The design of nuclear power plants requires the services of a mechanical engineer. The engineer must understand the fundamentals of nuclear design, know how to operate the plant efficiently, and evaluate the environmental factors associated with nuclear plants.
- Robotics engineer:A mechanical engineer may design machines that build other machines. For instance, a robotics engineer may be involved with creating the devices that are used in assembling automobiles. Engineers are concerned with the robot’s structure, its joint mechanisms, bearings, and heat transfer characteristics.
- Teaching:A desire to help mould the next generation of engineers motivates some mechanical engineers to move into academic careers. Engineers in colleges oversee research activities, manage laboratories, and mentor students. They also write and publish books and technical papers about mechanical engineering.
How much salary would I get?
Average salary for Indian Mechanical Engineer is about Rs. 3,56,698/- per annum (payscale.com). Salary depends on many factors. Foremost of all is the college you pass out from. Other factors may include your passing marks, career objective etc.
From last three years, most of the institutes in India have subscribed to Joint Entrance Examination (JEE). Apart from IITs and NITs, engineering colleges in the States of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Nagaland, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Uttarakhand and Odisha have joined JEE (Main) system.
Last date for Application for JEE 2015: 26th December, 2014
Exam Date for Engineering (Paper 1, offline): 4th April 2015
Exam Date for Engineering (Paper 1, online): 10th and 11th April 2015
For further information on Careers call us on +91 9545803300