Welcome to career care’s IELTS tutorial for writing task 1. You can refer to previous blog using this link: How to answer writing task 1 of IELTS
This is a series of three posts. In this post we would be looking at how to write an introduction for the task 1.
In the previous post we discussed about our essays structure and how to have 150 words in our essay.
In today’s post we would looking at the introduction part of our essay
Okay let’s look at the example
In actual test you would be given instructions as below. Read the instructions carefully.
Instruction for candidates.
- Do not open this question paper until you are told to do so
- Write your name and candidate number in the spaces at the top of this page
- Read the instructions for each task carefully
- Answer both of the tasks
- Write at least 150 words for task 1
- Write at least 250 words for task 2
- Write your answers in the answer booklet
- Write clearly in pen or pencil; you may make alterations, but make sure your work is easy to read
Writing task 1
This is the first section of your IELTS Academic Writing test. You should spend about 20 minutes on it.
Take a look at the graphics and complete the task below.
The graphs above give information about computer ownership as a percentage of the population between 2002 and 2010, and by level of education for the years 2002 and 2010.
Summarise the information by selecting and reporting the main features, and make comparisons where relevant.
Write at least 150 words.
Now, how structure and organize our introduction?
We have cleared that we have to write four sentences for introduction. So begin with writing 2 sentences that state what the task shows. In these two sentences paraphrase the title of graphs including the time frame
For the above sample introduction can be as below
The first bar chart illustrates the percentage of computer ownerships for a period of eight years, starting from 2002 to 2010. Whereas the second bar chart shows the same with respect to education level ranging from no high school diploma to postgraduate qualification but only for the year 2002 and 2010
As you can see that the introduction says the same thing as the question but it is paraphrased.
Further write an overview of trends that you see in the graph. Do not just write numbers. Describe what is happening during the mentioned period overall.
Here is the overview for our sample
Overall, the total percentage of computer ownership increased gradually over the years. Also, there was remarkable rise in the percentage of ownerships in the people with education level of no high school diploma, high school graduate and college incomplete as compared to other remaining level.
And we are done with our introduction comprising the title and overview in four sentences.
“The first bar chart illustrates the percentage of computer ownerships for a period of eight years, starting from 2002 to 2010. Whereas the second bar chart shows the same with respect to education level ranging from no high school diploma to postgraduate qualification but only for the year 2002 and 2010. Overall, the total percentage of computer ownership increased gradually over the years. Also, there was remarkable rise in the percentage of ownerships in the people with education level of no high school diploma, high school graduate and college incomplete as compared to other remaining level.”
- Do not write the question title as it is in your introduction. You would get marks for that. Paraphrase the title as we did in the sample.
- You are NOT asked to give your opinion on the information, but generally to write a report describing the information factually.
- It is NOT necessary to write an introduction like in an essay for this writing task. You are writing a report, which means that you do NOT begin with a broad general statement about the topic.
- You do NOT need to write a conclusion which gives any kind of opinion about the significance of the information.
- In the introduction do not continue by giving all the details. Only include the paraphrased title and overview. Stop after that and start working with the first body paragraph.
Hope this post helps with the introduction part. In the next post we would be discussing about how write the body paragraphs of our essay for task 1. Subscribe with us so that you do not miss the next two posts about body paragraphs.